Main gastrointestinal disorders
Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine whereby the digestive tract and its disorders are studied. Gastroenterologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, including esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large bowel, pancreas, liver, gallbladder and biliary tract.
In the presence of some disorders you need gastroenterological investigation.
Main gastrointestinal disorders:
• Gastrointestinal cancer (colorectal cancer, gastric cancer, esophageal cancer, pancreatic cancer)
• Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
• Peptic ulcer disease (gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer)
• Helicobacter pylori infection
• Disorders of the small intestine: celiac disease, lactose intolerance
• Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease)
• Functional disorders: irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)